Thursday, July 28, 2016

Ombre Mini Geese

 Oh, this ombre mini makes me so happy!


Way back in March (?) a new swap got under way on Instagram. @nydiak, @the_tattooed_quilter and @modernhandcraft started a V&Co ombre mini swap. The stress-free twist was that you wouldn't be assigned a partner unless you finished by April 30. Unfortunately, I didn't even have the top finished by then. Check out the swap hashtag for all the ombre love!

I had a small stash of ombres from a workshop with Vanessa. I found the paper piecing block in EQ7. It is similar to Bonnie Hunter's Wild & Goosey block with more geese. I was off to a promising start. Then life and other projects got in the way.


I finally got around to finishing the top at the end of June. Then it waited a little longer until after a workshop with Angela Walters. I was excited to pick up some new quilting tips and design ideas to use on this little piece.


 The machine quilting was done on my Bernina 153 with 50 wt Aurifil in three different shades of gray. I had so much fun choosing designs! Ribbon candy is a new design for me.

 
 I was even brave enough to try a little half-feather in the corners. Perfectly acceptable!


Oooooh. Look at the yummy backing! That teal ombre is just delicious.


 Since I used the ombre for the binding, too, I needed three shades of Aurifil for the hand stitching. Two of them came from a designer collection I picked up from Angela!


In case you were wondering, the grays in the background are also from V&Co. It's a wide stripe of the gray gradation.


Ombre Mini Geese
16" X 16"
Cutting 4/5/16
Piecing completed 6/30/16
Quilted and Bound 7/25/16

5 comments:

Debbie said...

oh this is lovely! So much special detailing and I love that you tried some new quilting designs - I think you're a natural! Also love the ombre binding!

Debbie said...

p.s. shared on my AQT facebook page...

Unknown said...

This is really fabulous! It makes us happy, too!! Love it.

LB said...

Beautiful quilt!

Carla said...

Really pretty. Love the teal and the back. The quilting turned out great!